Monday, November 22, 2010

the key to an open door

"I was looking for the key for years
But the door was always open"
-The White Tiger

This quote caught my attention ever since the first time I read it, and it was repeated a couple times after that too.  Each time I read it, I had to stop and think about it and I interpreted this quote differently each time I read it. The one interpretation that I kept thinking about the most was about the key to a persons heart. I thought it could be talking about a person who liked someone and was always trying to make the other person like them back, but secretly they always liked them back and was trying to make that person fall for them too, each not knowing that the other already liked them the way they are. This is stereotypical for a lot of songs, movies, books, and I personally have even been a victim of this misfortune.


A couple years ago, I liked this guy but I didn't think he liked me back. He use to always cut in front of me in the lunch line and ask me how I was, and I just thought he was using me to get his food quicker (like a typical teenage guy). However, he did seem to be honestly asking how I was doing and always asked if I was okay if I missed a day, but I never met a guy that wasn't decent at acting. Well, one day one of my friends was behind me talking with me, and he came up like always, and she ask me if we were going out in a subtle way. When he finally caught on to what she was asking, he straight out told her "No, I'm not good enough; I'm too lazy for her." I was in shock at what he just said. I couldn't believe it, I didn't want to believe it. Finally, after a couple of minutes I told him "you're not too lazy, you just never tried". And so the story goes, not even a month later he tells me one afternoon that he wouldn't be there the next day or ever because he was moving, and just leaves. He just left me without even saying good bye, and that was the end of that.


We were searching for the keys, but the doors were wide open. We just never tried. You have to try the door first before you try and pick the lock or go looking for the key. Believe it or not, some things are just that simple. There are a lot more open doors than you think, you just have to try them and see what you find, and don't miss your opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment